Friday, December 2, 2011

Where do you cut a Rainbow Butterfly Bush after the flowers have died?

I have a Rainbow Butterfly Bush and the flowers are almost gone. Do I have to cut the old bloom off so a new one can grow, or does it just fall off? Also, where do I cut it and does it have to be at an angle or anything special. I am also growing my own Millet Spray for my Parakeets and I want to know when I cut the millet off and how does it dry out? Thank you so much.|||If this is the Buddleia variety, then you cut the flowers at the base of the flower, which will conserve energy to allow new flowers to sprout and grow. Otherwise the energy is used for seed production, and these plants will gladly produce seeds very prolifically.





Their general pruning is best done in early spring, as they can grow more than the height of a person in one season. Their flowering period is often quite short, partly due to their nature of wanting, and being able, to produce so many seeds.





For your millet, ensure that the lower half of the panacle isn't green, which would be too early, and would lessen your crop load. The top half, at minimum, needs to have matured, where the seeds will be filled out, and more golden in colour.





There are several types of millet, but generally the above rules are fairly straight forward. You can dry it by hanging it upright, but beware that some of your crop's seeds may fall, so have a method to catch them. Keep it in a dry environment indoors, and where rodents etc can't get to it.





Hope this helps. Good luck! Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment