Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Butterfly??

Okay, so when I swim fly, I look epileptic.


What's up with that?


I can swim ANY stroke indefinately, and fly only like, 50 meters and then I die.


Also when I reach the 25 meter line, my arms just don't come over the water again, and it looks all sloppy.


Also, my fly kick is very weak since I have no idea how to do it, should your fingers be pointed? Do you move your hips, thighs, or the part of your legs under the knees?|||Well acually you anly move your knees, amd by the way can i mail you sometime?|||You move your whole legs in like a wave motion starting with hips then thighs then knees and then feet. You have to start the kick at the same time your arms are pushing you out of the water, to give you more leverage. Its hard to explain on a computer. Do you have a coach you can ask for extra help with this? Its all about endurance and some people it just comes naturally to.





I had the same problem in High School when I was on swimming. I would be set to swim the 200IM or the 50 fly and after the 25 meters of fly I would be dying. All I can say is practice practice practice.|||The secret to swimming butterfly well is to sweep your hands close together when they come under your body. Many people's hands are to far apart because it seems eaiser. However, it's actually harder because you don't get as much power when your hands are far apart and you have to take more strokes to get where you're going.





Your entire stroke should come from the core of your body (i.e. abs, hips) because this is where your body is strongest there. Part of the reason you can't maintain your stroke over 25 meters may be that your using your legs below your knees to kick instead of your hips. Your lower legs get tired faster and arn't able to lift your torso out of the water as far.





If you want to have a better butterfly you should probably do more core work like sit-ups, planks, 6-inches, etc. You can also try doing pilates as they are very agressive in working the core.





I can also recommend Butterfly with Misty Hymen, a dvd that will show you how to do the stroke right and make it eaiser.





Good Luck,


Raquel|||breath to the front when your arms go in the water, move your hips and kick twice per stroke|||Timing of stroke, kick, and breathing are critical.





First, the stroke should look like a classic keyhole. When your hands enter the water, press your chest into the water ... spread (scull) your hands outward. As your body moves forward, sweep your hands inward with your finger tips always facing the bottom of the pool. As your hands come closer, the should come close enough so that they pass under your hip bones. Finally, sweep your hands past your legs so that your thumbs can brush your legs below your suit.





As your hands enter the water, you should kick (kick #1). As your hands pass under your hips, you should kick a second time.





As you do that second look forward for your breath. As your hands go across the water for your next stroke (your stroke recovery), your face should go into the water before your hands enter.





Butterfly is actually does not use the most calories of the strokes. That honor goes to backstroke. However, due to the start - stop action of butterfly, you build lactic acid more than any stroke and it is lactic acid that interferes with your muscles working or, what we call, fatigue.





If your kick is strong, you'll experience less fatigue.





But, most importantly ... LISTEN TO YOUR COACH!





Good luck.|||well i am a swimmer for 3 years and drill and kick have helped me with my fly.|||for me, i move my legs in a wavelike motion. i have to get my hips/ butt above the water then my legs do the "ave" SO my feet can then be above the water. hope this works for you, cuz it works for me, and my time for a 50 fly is like 34.6

No comments:

Post a Comment