Saturday, November 19, 2011

I transplanted my butterfly bush, the branches are dead from the winter should i trim them?

When I transplanted it, it was already brown and the branches were dead any advice to get it growing and alive, I'm in the process of making a butterfly garden and this bush will really complete the garden and make it look beautiful!!! and if you know of any other plants that attract a lot of butterflies let me know!|||The Butterfly shrub produces flowers on new wood so it will be fine to trim it to just above ground level if you want to. Mine has died back to the ground each winter. I like it, but have since made a Honeysuckle the main shrub as it is more reliably hardy and also attracts hummingbirds as well as butterflies.





I would be concerned that your shrub may have a disease as you mentioned it was not looking well before being transplanted and it may not come back if the damage is not due to the winter.





I used a variety of native meadow flowers in our zone 4 garden complete with a sunning rock as the butterflies seem to enjoy the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment