Thursday, November 24, 2011

How do I get birds away from my butterfly garden?

I have my own butterfly garden and I've had over five caterpillars and the have all been eaten by birds. I live in ft myers Florida so there is a large population of birds. I love birds but not when they eat my caterpillars. I don't want to get rid of them entirely, just away from my garden. Thank you sooooo much for helping.|||Use old cd's, dvd's, etc. Thread them with clear fishing line through the center hole and hang them,singly or in groups from nearby tree limbs. If you're artistic, you can create something artsy like a mobile or a wind chime.The cd's act like round mirrors. As the air currents move the cd's the flash of light will startle the birds and chase them off without harming them.|||My honest suggestion is to purchase a polyethylene netting product.


It's used to protect fruit berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries from the birds. I use them on my berry bushes, and they do help a lot. You could throw a few over the plants in your butterfly garden where the caterpillars are to protect them from the hunting birds.


Check out the Hardware stores in your area or do an on line search.





Good Luck|||It isn't just the birds eating your caterpillars... wasps and spiders are partial to them also.



Most people that "raise" cats talk about bringing them indoors...

There's a butterfly house at Calloway gardens that has like a greenhouse where the plants are grown indoors, and the butterflies apparently never get to leave.

http://www.google.com/search?q=raising+c鈥?/a>|||Put out some pink flamingos sometimes this helps for some reason, a vet told me to do this to get rid of the Muscovy ducks in my yard they are sooo destructive and filthy not to mention aggressive...it worked and they are cute|||Since the garden is outside.........there's NOT anything you can do about it. Anything growing outside - is fair game to anything living outside.|||We keep bird feed out for the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment