Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Can i build a butterfly garden in the middle of woodland habitat?

i have a big plot of land and im trying to design it.. i am planning to have a woodland but in the midway it will thin out and then from there u can enter into butterfly garden..?


is it too ambitious ??|||You should be able to, I was walking in the woods a few weeks ago and saw some butterflies. I think a swallowtail. It was pretty shady and the trees were very tall. As long as there are some open areas and some little puddles and some rocks for sunning, they should be really happy there.





There is a local conservation district for my county and I ordered a butterfly garden kit from them that is filled with regional native plants. Most of them prefer sun, but some parts of my yard are shady. Butterflies are very species specific, so if there is a certain one you really want to attract, you might was to look it up so that you can plant the host plants for the larvae/butterfly. I have been looking into this for a couple years but I have not found any super book for butterfly gardening.





Be very cautious about using pesticides and insecticides. Even though they are not supposed to affect butterflies and other beneficial organism, if you have the right set up and flowers, they will still not come if you use pesticides. Or if they do, they will die.





If your state has an agricultural school, they may have some information on butterflies, or maybe a dept of entomology--maybe they even have a lepidopterist. Don't forget about the bumble bees and other cute, harmless insects!|||Plants and bushes that attract butterflies are sun loving plants - in a woodland does not sound like there will be enough sun (about 8 hours of direct light a day).





I have a butterfly garden that attracts so many butterflies throughout the summer. It is right outside my window so I can enjoy them. Butterflies are looking for a food source and a place to lay eggs for the next year. You want to provide something like Milkweed which is a target plant for laying eggs. I don't find them the most attractive plant, but you want to invite the butterflies to stay. Butterfly bush you can't go wrong with. I have about 12 throughout my yard and in late summer, early fall they are flittering all throughout my yard to the bushes. It is a beautiful bush that can get about 5 feet tall in the right place - it is my favorite specimen in my garden. Many of the plants that you would have in a butterfly garden will also attract hummingbirds, and then once the plants die - the songbirds will come to eat the seed. So you will have many visitors throughout the year to take advantage of your work. Just make sure you have the right plants and enough light, but I don't think being in the middle of a woodland is going to give enough sunlight.





The link here is one that I've followed for a guide when I first started my garden. I love it!





http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plans/easy/…|||A carefully planned garden can attract butterflies that sip nectar from many flowers and search for a place to lay their larvae. Butterfly gardens are basically organic gardens that use no chemicals. With this in mind, be sure to create a safety zone for your butterflies. Habitual zones and places where areas of the landscape meet with the tree lines are favorite safe places for them. It is also helpful to find out what kinds of butterflies are native to your area so you can find appropriate plants for them.





Here are some articles for attracting butterflies:


Attracting Butterflies - http://www.butterfly-gardens.com/butterf…


Butterfly Garden Designs - http://www.butterfly-gardens.com/butterf…





Goodluck!|||The flowers butterflies are most attracted to are sun lovers. So your woodland better have some full sun areas as well as partial shade. Butterflies mainly drink from the soil, so running water isn't necessary, but a damp earth area would help.





http://www.thebutterflysite.com/gardenin…|||yes

No comments:

Post a Comment