Thursday, November 24, 2011

When to prune butterfly bush and how far to space?

My butterfly bushes after a years growth are about 2to 3 ft tall


how far down should I prune them this spring.|||I prune mine back to a foot tall.


I have pruned them both in the fall after they go dormant and in


early spring. If I don't prune them every season they become monsters. Each one is at least 8 feet tall at the end of the growing season.





I planted one 10 years ago. I now have five of them That's after digging five of them last spring and giving them to a friend.|||Depends where you live Herrman.


If you are in Zone 6 or higher, it isn't necessary to prune them at all, unless you want to shape them up a bit (which can be done anytime.) I live in Zone 5, and you are in this zone or lower, I'd advise you (like I do) to prune them back to six inches. Otherwise, you'll end up with a butterfly bush that has lots of dead wood on it. This sounds severe, but they will quickly regain their growth.


As far as spacing, don't plant them closer than six feet apart.


Also Herrman---be aware that the buddliea (butterfly bush) is relatively short-lived in cooler climates. I end up replacing mine about every five years.|||I wouldn't prune them at all. Let them be free!!





But if they ever get too big, prune in early spring. You can take them down to 1 or 2 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment