Saturday, November 19, 2011

Butterfly?

I have found out that i breathe at the wrong part in butterfly...i breathe when my arms are above my head instead of when my arms are reaching the surface, but i can't seem to change my stroke...any ideas on how to train to make me breathe at the right point?





thanks!|||I used to do that all the time, and it messed me up so much! Until I got the problem fixed, I breathed as little as possible- on a 50 I'd breathe 2 times on the first 25, and 2-3 times on the way back. I used my coaches drill to help me begin to breathe correctly as well. Here is a brief overview of it:





Name: "The Snake Drill"





Steps:


1. butterfly kick underwater with arms extended in a streamline position for as long as possible





2. once you have to surface, lift your head up, breathe, and put your face back in the water in a single motion, and then bring your arms over in a butterfly stroke





3. swim a complete butterfly stroke, not breathing unless you have to- if you do have to breathe, try to breathe in the one motion used in the previous step, and then complete the stroke





4. go completely underwater, about 2-3 feet under, and butterfly kick with arms extended in a streamline position





5. repeat until you reach the other pool wall





This drill works so well because it forces you to breathe at the right time. It does take a lot of your breathe away, so it is easier to start swimming it in small distances, gradually increasing the length you swim it. It sure helped me, and I hope it does the same for you! Good luck!|||one... congrats on being some wat good on butterfly!!


also here is a stroke drill you cand do to learn to breath right. It is called body surf.


1. you have arms in fromt of head and kick dolphin kick under water


2. when runing out of air though arms behind you but don't recover


3. after you have glided about 2 sec recover one arm and let the other sneak up


4. repete steps 1-3 till at end of wall then try to swim buter fly





i hope that makes sence and hopefully that will work|||You can do the Land Butterfly drill. Basically you do butterfly on the pool deck. You ought to be able to feel your head position and have your coach guide your body movements. You should be making an "S" wave with your body, think of a whip cracking, starting at your feet and moving upward. When your chest is out (forward) your arms are back and your head comes up.





Think of catching snowflakes on your tongue when your arms are slightly back behind you at the end of the stroke. And as your arms recover, you are DIVING back down, and when you dive you tuck your chin. Viola!





If that makes no sense (which it might not haha!) Ask someone at the pool to help you out.|||try to do surf butterfly. You have your hands in a stream line and do dolphin kick at the same time. You kick 5 times then bring your arms underneath you letting go of the stream line position. Then put your chin on top of the water. Then start all over again. It really helped me because my best stroke is butterfly now.|||Try using a pullboy ; that way you will never be able to stay out of water if your hands are out or above your head so you will learn how to breath while your arms reaching the surface.


Put a pullboy between your legs and dont move your west during the swim focusing only on your arm strokes





Good luck|||I'm a flyer, the only freshman flyer on my team, and try using a pull boy, or get swimming videos. 5 yrs. ago I was struggling with my butterfly and my coach was like watch training videos, on butterfly and I watched them and it shows you want you need to do, and some good excersises. Or ask your coach if there are any drills you can do. Good luck, and I know it may be a little hard but keep trying, and you'll get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment